Easy Vanilla Custard
This simple homemade custard is a delicious accompaniment to any dessert. It’s made on the stovetop in just minutes, so you don’t need to buy pre-made custard or even custard powder! If you want to try something different, then try adding a little cinnamon and nutmeg, or adding cocoa powder to make a chocolate custard. You could also use vanilla paste or a vanilla pod to intensify the vanilla flavour – but I’ve kept it super simple here with just vanilla essence.
Try it with my Apple, Berry & Oat Crumble!
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 1/2 – 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- Whisk eggs, cornflour and milk together in a saucepan until smooth.
- Continue whisking on stovetop until custard becomes thick and creamy.
- Remove from heat, then whisk in sugar and vanilla.
- It takes approximately 10 minutes of whisking by hand to thicken on the stove.
- I use 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar, but if you like your custard sweeter then just add a little more sugar. Alternatively add a few drops of maple syrup or honey to sweeten.
- Don’t add the sugar whilst the pan is till over the heat, as it may stick to the bottom.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!