Veggie Tortilla Bowls
- 400g tin black beans, drained
- 200g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- 1 red and 1 yellow capsicum
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- Small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- A few fresh spinach leaves
- Sour cream
- Fresh avocado (sliced) or guacamole
- See below to make the tortilla bowls.
- To make the filling: slice the capsicum into strips and cut a couple of the strips into smaller pieces.
- Heat oil in frying pan, cook the pepper strips and onion until starting to brown.
- Add in the rest of the chopped capsicum, and the garlic. Stir. Cook for a minute then add the chilli powder, smoked paprika and ground cumin.
- Cook for a couple more minutes and add the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Push the mixture to one side and add the drained black beans and sweetcorn to warm through.
- Place a few spinach leaves in the bottom of each tortilla bowl. Spoon the capsicum & bean filling on top. Serve with sour cream, sliced avocado or guacamole (and grated cheese if you like).
Homemade tortilla bowls!
It’s easy to make your own tortilla bowls! First turn a muffin tin upside down. Then take a regular size soft flour tortilla and fold it up around the base (see photo, left).
There’s need to grease the muffin tin, the cooked tortillas will just lift straight off. Bake in the oven at 180°C for approx 6-8 mins, until lightly browned. Just keep a close eye to check they don’t burn.
Repeat with remaining tortillas, then put to one side ready to fill and serve!
If you have large soft flour tortillas, then cut into quarters (like a pizza). Curl up each quarter and cook inside a muffin tin.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Made on The Cafe Tuesday 8th September 2020