Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese
Featured on The Cafe, Wednesday 22 April 2020
A delicious meat-free meal that the whole family will love!
- Butter or olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped, optional
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 200g white button Meadow mushrooms, sliced
- 250g portabello Meadow mushrooms, chopped
- Half a cup chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Half a cup red wine, optional
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can lentils, drained
- 250mls vegetable or mushroom stock or 250ml water
- salt and pepper to taste
- To serve, spaghetti, fresh basil and parmesan cheese
- Heat some butter or oil in a heavy based saucepan, over a medium/low heat. Add the onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook another 20 minutes.
- Add some more butter or oil to the onions along with the mushrooms, parsley and the garlic and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the wine if using, bring to the boil, boil for 2 minutes the add the tomatoes, lentils and stock or water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta with fresh basil and parmesan if you like.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!