Teriyaki Chicken with Coconut Rice
Sticky tender chicken that’s packed full full of flavour, served with a fluffy coconut rice.
- 4 chicken thighs, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger (grated, fresh or dried)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- 400g can coconut milk or cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
* This makes more coconut rice than is needed, but uses a full can of coconut cream. If you don’t want leftover rice for the next day, then halve the coconut rice recipe.
- In a glass jug, whisk together all the teriyaki sauce ingredients. Set to one side.
- In a pan, brown the chicken over a medium heat. Add in the chopped broccoli florets and cashews to cook.
- Stir the teriyaki sauce into the pan and leave to simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- To make the coconut rice, rinse the rice well in a sieve under running water. Or rinse in a bowl (approx. 4 times) until the water runs almost clear. Drain well.
- Place the rinsed rice, coconut cream, sugar and salt into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once it reaches boiling point, give one quick stir, then cover, lower the heat, and gently cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, keep the lid on and leave for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork or chopstick, and serve.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Featured on The Cafe, Tuesday 19 May 2020