Savoury Scones with Caramelised Onion Jam
Featured on The Cafe, Wednesday 29 April 2020
Makes approx. 12 medium size scones
Savoury Scones ingredients:
- 2 cups (300g) self raising flour (OR 2 cups plain flour and 4 tsp baking powder)
- 1 packet MAGGI Cheese Sauce
- 100g unsalted butter, grated
- 1 cup (200g) cooked kumara or pumpkin, cubed
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup (20g) spinach, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 200ml milk
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated tasty cheese – for topping
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine flour and MAGGI Cheese Sauce mix, stir through grated butter. Add chopped spinach, kumara/pumpkin and chives.
- Carefully mix in milk until mixture comes together, make sure not to over mix and break up kumara/pumpkin too much.
- Using extra flour to prevent sticking, roll scone mixture out until approx. 2cm thick. Cut into rounds or roll into a circle and cut into triangle shapes.
- Top with grated cheese and sesame seeds (optional)
- Bake at 200°C for 15-20 mins or until golden brown and cooked through.
Onion jam ingredients:
- 4 onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- One packet MAGGI Tomato and Onion Sausages mix
Onion Jam method:
- Heat a little butter in a frying pan.
- Add four sliced onions and cook on medium heat for 15 mins, stirring gently. Keep moving around so they don’t blacken.
- Once onions are clear, add 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp brown sugar. Cook for a further 5 mins or until absorbed.
- Mix one pack of MAGGI Tomato and Onion Sausages to 160ml water, stirring until blended. Pour this into the pan and cook for further 5 mins or until it’s a gravy-like consistency.
Note: to save time the caramelised onion jam can be pre-prepared ahead of time and reheated for serving, just add a small amount of water to loosen if the mixture becomes too thick.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!