Makes approx 12-14 muffins
- 285g (about 2 1/2 cups) chopped rhubarb, cut into 1cm pieces
- 285g plain flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 120g butter
- 225g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Icing sugar to dust (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°/180° fan.
- Line muffin tray with cases.
- Chop up rhubarb into 1cm pieces. If the rhubarb stalks are quite thick, I cut them lengthways first, before cutting into 1cm pieces. (I don’t bother if they’re quite skinny.) Set aside.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the butter and sugar. Mix in eggs, milk, vanilla essence.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Fold til just combined. Fold in the chopped rhubarb.
- Divide between the muffin cases.
- Bake for 18-20 mins until light golden (skewer will come out clean).
- Cool on rack – dust with icing sugar when cool.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!