Quick Lemon Drizzle Cake
Everyone has a favourite quick cake recipe they can go to in a hurry. This is mine!
No fancy ingredients, bakes in under an hour, doesn’t need icing or filling. And tastes delicious!
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of two lemons
- 80g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 fan°. Grease 23cm cake tin and line the base.
- Cream butter and sugar. Mix in eggs.
- Sift in flour and baking powder. Add lemon zest, and just a couple of drops of the fresh lemon juice.
- Pour into tin and bake for 40 mins. Cake should be lightly golden and spring back when lightly touched in the middle. Leave in tin.
- Stir together the lemon juice and icing sugar for the drizzle (add more/less sugar depending on taste).
- Whilst the cake is still hot, poke holes in the top with a skewer. Pour over the drizzle, leaving in tin until cool.
- I like to pour the drizzle over the cake whilst it’s still in the tin. This way, any excess deliciousness soaks into the sides, and isn’t wasted dripping onto the benchtop.
- Taste the drizzle before pouring. You may want to add more sugar depending on the variety of lemons used, and how sweet/sour you like the taste of lemon. I love a real zingy lemon taste.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!