Delicious buttery shortbread filled with a delicious filling of Black Doris Plums. Not too sweet, this slice is perfect served hot or cold (try a dollop of cream on top for an extra treat). I really love this recipe and it always disappears fast in my house!
- 220g butter, softened
- 130g white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300g plain flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 850g tin Black Doris Plums*
- ¼ cup sliced or slivered almonds
- Optional: icing sugar to dust
*If you like, keep the juice of the drained plums to make a sauce to serve with the shortcake (or over ice-cream). Just thicken with a little cornflour in a saucepan, stirring over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Line the base of a 20cm springform pan and grease the sides.
- Drain the tin of plums thoroughly. Spread the drained plums out onto a plate, cut in half and remove the stones. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove extra liquid, and leave to one side.
- In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix again.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and mix again until combined (mixture will be crumbly).
- Press approx. two thirds of the mixture into the base of the lined pan. Place the plum halves on top, spreading out to cover the base.
- Crumble the remaining dough mixture on top, then sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for approx. 45 mins or until the sides of the edges are golden brown.
- Leave in tin to cool before turning out. Dust with icing sugar if you like.
- Delicious served warm or cold!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Featured on The Cafe, Monday 14 September 2020