Fluffy Vanilla Cake
This makes a nice alternative to chocolate (or lemon, given my slight obsession with all-things lemon flavoured!). It’s a beautifully soft, fluffy cake that is always a crowd pleaser. Fill with a vanilla buttercream, or indulge in a flavoured filling like chocolate buttercream, lemon curd or even jam – whatever you like! It makes for a very popular cake, that is lovely as a birthday cake.
The following recipe makes two cakes which can sandwich together to make a substantial birthday cake. (I filled the cake pictured with a pre-bought lemon curd, and lightly iced it with lemon buttercream).
Alternatively, halve the recipe below to just make a single cake which you can ice, rather than fill.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 250g butter
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line 2 x 22cm cake tins.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs (one at a time), then mix in the vanilla essence.
- Sieve together the flour and baking powder. Add this to the mixture, along with the milk. Gently mix until there are no lumps.
- Pour into the two prepared tins. Bake for 35-40 mins, until the middle springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave in tin for 10 mins, turn out onto racks too cool. Decorate when cold.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!