Easy Weetbix Slice
There’s so much to love about this Easy Weetbix Slce. It chocolatey, tastes delicious, is simple and quick to make AND has the goodness of five weetbix inside! PLUS if you’re like me and hate wasting cereal you get to use up all the crumbled bits at the bottom of the packet. There are several different versions of Weetbix Slice out there – this is my favourite! My kids love it too. This recipe is based on Weet-Bix’s 1950’s choc n’roll slice recipe, with a couple of tweaks.
- 5 x weetbix* or 80g (crushed)
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 200g butter or margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
* I’ve found each Weetbix weighs approx. 16g which is helpful to know if you only have broken bits left in the box! So this recipe calls for approx. 80g crushed weetbix.
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl, pour in crushed weetbix, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and coconut. Mix together,
- In a saucepan, add sugar, golden syrup and butter. Gently simmer until the sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Add in the vanilla essence and then pour into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon into the lined tin, pressing the mixture down with the back of a spoon to spread out evenly. Bake for approx. 18-20 mins until firm. Leave in tin for 10 mins then lift out of tin using the paper, and leave to cool.
To make the icing:
- In a bowl, stir together the sieved icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add the vanilla essence and butter, then gradually add a few drops of boiling water until the mixture reaches a smooth, spreadable consistency. (Keep stirring well to make sure there’s no lumps of icing sugar!)
- Spread icing over the cooled slice.
Cut into pieces, and enjoy!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!