Easiest Ever Coconut Cake
This cake is SO easy and really tasty! It’s so easy you don’t even need to cream butter and sugar together, and definitely no fancy equipment needed. It takes less than 20 mins to make and is delicious eaten whilst still a little warm from the oven, if you can’t wait to ice it! Try it!
This is a traybake style cake (like a slice) not a deep layered cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut (desiccated/shredded)
- 125g butter/marge, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Icing (enough to drizzle over):
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp butter
- Extra shredded/desiccated coconut to sprinkle
I filmed this video with my son filming on his iPhone, at home during lockdown in Auckland
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan and spray a 20x20cm tin with oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, coconut and melted butter.
- In a different bowl, gently beat the eggs and stir through the milk and vanilla essence.
- Pour into the flour mix, and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for approx 16-18 mins.
- Leave for a couple of minutes in tin, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Ice when cold. To make icing to drizzle over: in a bowl add 1/2 cup icing sugar and 1/2 tsp butter. Add just enough boiling water to make a spreadable consistency, and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cold cake, and sprinkle with coconut.
- I usually turn out this cake onto a metal rack, then just leave it upside down to ice/decorate.
- If you prefer not to bother with icing, it’s still delicious eaten plain or with a dusting of icing sugar.
- This is one of my go-to quick cakes to rustle up in a hurry!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!