Delicious Meatballs with Harraways Oats
My family loves meatballs, and these have the added goodness of rolled oats! Nice and simple to make and really tasty.
Recipe courtesy of Harraways
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1½ cups Harraways Rolled Oats
- Seasoning to taste
- 2 tsp of your favourite herbs (parsley, cajun spice or mixed herbs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar*
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, torn roughly
- Grated parmesan cheese, to serve
*My red wine vinegar alternatives:
A good substitute for red wine vinegar is equal parts of white vinegar and red wine. Eg to make 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar… mix 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar with 1/2 tablespoon red wine. If you’re trying to avoid alcohol, try a mix of grape juice and white vinegar. You could also just substitute white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, or even lemon juice.
- For the meatballs, combine egg, tomato sauce, seasoning, herbs and curry powder in a large bowl.
- Mix in chopped onion and garlic. Add mince and rolled oats and mix well. Shape into meatballs.
- Cook meatballs in a lightly oiled pan for 8 -10 minutes each side until evenly brown on all sides.
- To make the sauce, saute the onion in a little oil in a medium fry pan, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until light and golden. Add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, thyme leaves, sugar and half of the basil. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat, until the sauce has thickened.
- To serve spoon cooked meatballs over prepared pasta, and pour the sauce over the top. Sprinkle over the rest of the basil and grated Parmesan cheese to taste.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Featured on The Cafe Friday 18 September 2020