Crispy Fried Chicken
Featured on The Cafe, Friday 1 May 2020
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 3 cups buttermilk* (or 3 cups milk and 3 tbsp either white vinegar or lemon juice to make your own)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- (hot sauce, optional)
Make your own buttermilk:
*Add either 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk. Let stand 5 minutes. The milk will get thicker and clumpy and is ready to use in any recipe calling for buttermilk.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 packet MAGGI Nacho Recipe Base (or herbs and spices)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, hot sauce (optional, for added flavour), salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add in chicken pieces. Cover the bowl and leave in the fridge for 1+ hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, pour the vegetable oil into a skillet or heavy pan until it’s about 2cm deep (half way up the food). Heat to 180° celcius.
- Prepare the coating by combining the flour, cornflour and Recipe Base. Mix it thoroughly.
- Working one at a time, remove chicken pieces from buttermilk mixture. Shake gently to remove the excess. Place it in the dry mix and coat thoroughly. Tap off the excess.
- Place the breaded chicken into the hot oil. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time. The chicken will drop the temperature of the oil so keep it as close to 180° celcius as possible. Fry each piece for 14 minutes, turning each piece over about every 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!