For the cupcakes:
- 200g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup milk
- 100g butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Thread coconut to sprinkle on top
1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Line cupcake pan with cases (makes approx. 20).
2) Beat butter, sugar and vanilla essence until pale and creamy. Mix in eggs.
3) In a separate bowl, mix flour and coconut together.
4) Stir into butter mix alternately with the milk. Pour into cupcake cases and bake for 12-15 mins or until light golden brown. Leave for 5 mins, then turn onto rack to cool.
5) To make buttercream icing: Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla essence and slowly beat in icing sugar and coconut. Add enough lemon juice and hot water to get a good consistency.
6) Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes, and sprinkle a little thread coconut on top.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!