Carrot & Walnut Cake
This Carrot & Walnut Cake is super soft and full of flavour, topped with an ultra creamy cream cheese and sour cream frosting. Recipe courtesy of Kitchen Aid.
- 150g (1 cup) wholemeal flour
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour or 1 cup plain flour and extra 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 220g (1 cup) brown sugar
- 100g walnuts, coarsely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300g (approx. 3 medium) carrots, peeled and grated
- 250g softened cream cheese
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C and grease and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Sift flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add sugar and walnuts and mix well using the flat beater.
- Whisk together eggs and oil and add to the flour mixture along with grated carrot. Fold in gently until just combined. Spoon into prepared cake tin and smooth surface evenly.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Allow the cake to stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese, sour cream and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on speed 4 until smooth. Add icing sugar and continue beating until well combined. Spread over the top and sides of the cooled cake. Garnish with extra whole walnuts on top.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Monday 5 October 2020