Caramel Oat Squares
A delicious sweet slice combining a rich caramel with a buttery oaty base and a crumb topping. Recipe by Harraways.
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
125g butter, melted
1 ½ cups Harraways Rolled Oats
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups plain flour
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease a 30 x 20cm slice tin.
- In a pot, add filling ingredients and bring to a boil continually stirring on a stovetop. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a bowl beat egg, sugar and vanilla together. Add melted butter and dry ingredients including chopped walnuts.
- Spread into the prepared tin, reserving approximately ¼ cup of the base mixture for crumbling over the top.
- Spread cooled filling over the base then crumble reserved base mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until top is lightly golden.
- Leave in tin to cool, then cut into squares when cold. Enjoy!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Friday 16 October 2020