Brownie Fudge Pie
If you love chocolate, THIS is the dessert for you and if you’re not so keen, it may convert you! Beautifully crisp and light pastry. Rich fudgey brownie. It also freezes brilliantly – just wrap it up the whole pie and you’ve got an impressive dessert ready to whip out at a moment’s notice.
- 175g flour
- 85 butter, chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 300g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 175g butter, melted
- 50g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder, plus extra to serve
- 50g chopped nuts (eg macadamias, pecans, cashews)
- 50g dark chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate block)
- Tip the flour, 85g butter, icing sugar and cinnamon into a food processor and pulse to make crumbs. Add 2 1⁄2-3 tbsp water and pulse until it comes together. Wrap in cling film and chill for 20 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured benchtop and use to line a deep 23cm loose-based tart tin. Leave the excess pastry overhanging the edges of the tin. Then line with baking paper, fill with baking beans and chill in the fridge or 15 mins.
- Bake for 15 mins, remove the paper and beans, then bake 5 mins more until the pastry is crisp and pale golden. (Don’t overbake as it’s going back into the oven).
- Beat the eggs and sugar together to become a light and airy mousse. Stir in the vanilla essence and 175g melted butter, then fold in the flour and cocoa.
- Scatter the chopped nuts and chocolate over the pastry case, and pour the filling on top. Bake for 30 mins until firm with a slight wobble. Trim away the excess pastry and leave to cool.
- Serve at room temperature or warm, with an extra dusting of cocoa powder or ice-cream too.
(This whole pie can be frozen – just wrap tightly in wrap and foil. Then to defrost, unwrap and leave to thaw).
This recipe is based on one from Good Food Magazine
- If you find the edge of the pie crust starting to darken too much, then cover the edges with tin foil.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Featured on The Cafe, Thursday 23 April 2020