Broccoli Cheddar Fritters
A lovely simple way to eat veggies! Broccoli and cheddar work so well together. Serve these with a quick sour cream dip (see below) and salad… with a side of bacon and poached egg.. or as an accompaniment to a main meal. This recipe is by Kitchen Aid.
- Cooking spray
- 200g broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, plus more if needed
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or reusable mat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli stalks and boil for about two minutes, drain, let cool. Alternately, skip this step if using leftover cooked broccoli.
- Either whizz up the broccoli in a food processor, or chop into small pieces using a knife.
- Mix together the chopped broccoli, cheese, egg, breadcrumbs, onion powder, baking powder, and a little salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Using your hands or an ice-cream scoop, form mixture into about 9 patties and place on the baking sheet. If the mixture is too wet and not holding together, add a few more tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Spray fritters with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown, carefully flipping halfway through baking.
I’ve made a couple of changes to the original Kitchen Aid recipe… The original recipe made 15 fritters – I found it made 9. I also use the whole broccoli (head and stalks) rather than just the stalks.
I served these with salad and a quick Sour Cream Dip.
To make the dip:
- 100g sour cream
- 5g chives, finely chopped
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper
Mix the sour cream, chives and lemon zest together, then season with a little salt and pepper to taste. Easy!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe Monday 9 November, 2020