If you love baking with bananas (but perhaps a bit over Banana Bread!), then this is a great alternative. Blondies are similar to Brownies… except they don’t contain any chocolate or cocoa powder. Instead they get their caramel colour from vanilla essence and butter. They are sweet enough without any need for frosting or icing.
- 115g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (approx 1-2 bananas)
- 125g brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt (or leave out if using salted butter)
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts eg walnuts, macadamias, cashews
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter. Mash the banana.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the banana, sugar, egg and vanilla essence.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold to combine.
- Stir through the chopped nuts.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approx. 22-24 mins.
- Cool completely before cutting. Dust with icing sugar (optional).
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Tuesday 15 September 2020