Bakewell Jam Slice
A delicious easy version of the traditional English dessert, Bakewell tart. This slice has a lovely pastry base, with a fruity jam filling and sweet sponge top scattered with almonds.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 90g butter chopped
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 180 g butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (or 1/2 tsp almond essence)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Line a baking tin (I used 27 cm x 18cm).
- Add sifted flour, butter and sugar into mixer – process until well combined. Add water and mix again until forms a dough (use a little extra water if needed).
- Press into the base of the lined tin, using the back of a spoon or lightly floured hands.
- Bake for 5-8 mins. Remove and leave to one side.
- To make the topping: Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the vanilla/almond essence and eggs, one by one, beating well each time.
- Add in the almond meal and flour, mix again until just combined.
- Spread the jam over the base, and dollop the topping on top and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle over the sliced almonds and bake for 20-25 mins or until lightly golden.
- Cool in tin, then slice when cold.
Based on a recipe by www.bestrecipes.com.au
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Featured on The Cafe, Monday 23 November 2020