Apple & Cinnamon Slice
This is straight forward, delicious home baking at its best. To be honest I often skip over recipes with more half a dozen ingredients, but don’t be put off by the slightly longer list here. The recipe itself is so simple, you only need a wooden spoon to make it! It’s a comforting ‘cakey’ slice with those lovely apple cinnamon flavours that work so well.
- 250g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 120g unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 cups apple, peeled and chopped* (approx 3-4 apples depending on size)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius. Grease a baking tin (I used 27cm x 17.5cm).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir through the oats and leave to one side..
- Melt the butter in a microwave, or on the stove. Using a wooden spoon (no need for mixers!), stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla essence until smooth. Mix in the eggs.
- Pour into the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Stir through the chopped apples.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin. In a small cup, mix the cinnamon and sugar for the topping – then sprinkle over the top of the mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. When cooked the slice should spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the tin then cut into squares or rectangles.
* I like to chop the apple into fairly small pieces (approx 1cm or smaller) so you get a taste of apple in every bite.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Tuesday 2 June 2020