Apple Berry Squares
Easy to make, delicious to eat! These Apple Berry Squares are gluten free and perfect for an afternoon treat or shared plate event. They have there layers, but the shortbread base also forms the crumble topping.
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1/2 cup apple juice or water
- 2 cups frozen blueberries, defrosted and juice reserved
- 4 tsp corn flour
- 200g unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups (gluten free) flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (gluten free) baking powder
- Optional: whipped cream to serve
- In saucepan, place the sliced apple and apple juice/water and cook over a low-medium heat for 10 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Mix the reserved blueberry juice and corn flour together to make a paste. Add this paste to the apple mixture and simmer until the mixture is thick. Then stir in the blueberries. Leave to one side to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a slice pan (I used 25x25cm).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until combined. Press two-thirds of the mixture onto the base of the lined tin, press down well. Spread the fruit mixture over the top and smooth down.
- Sprinkle over the remaining pastry mixture, as a crumble topping.
- Bake for approx. 40 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the pan before cutting it into squares. Serve with whipped cream.
If you prefer your fruit filling to be extra sweet, then add some extra caster sugar when cooking the apples. Alternatively, dust the finished squares with icing sugar.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
Featured on The Cafe, Friday 15 May 2020