Puff Pastry Pizza Wheel
A really simple way to make a fun pizza-based dish. Perfect to take to a party! Easy to mix up the flavours to suit, and make more than one pizza wheel if you’re feeding several people! I kept it simple with pepperoni below, but you can use any pizza toppings you like – meat, seafood or vegetarian. Walnut, blue cheese, pesto, pine nuts, spinach, mozzarella, prawns, pineapple, onion, chicken, pastrami, capsicum – all good toppings!
Ingredients to make one wheel:
- 2 x frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 50g grated mozzarella
- Thinly sliced salami or other toppings to suit
- Dried mixed herbs
- Salt & pepper to suit
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lay a small dinner plate upside down on the pastry sheet, and cut around with a sharp knife to create a large circle. Repeat with the second pastry sheet.
- (Don’t throw away the scraps of pastry! Sprinkle with cheese, or spread with chocolate spread and cook in the oven for a quick treat).
- Spread tomato paste across one of the pastry circles, leaving a centimetre edge clear.
- Sprinkle over mixed dried herbs or Italian seasoning, then top with salami slices or other ingredients to suit. (Note, keep the fillings to a single layer – don’t pile them high or the pastry will be hard to twist into shape.)
- Sprinkle over a generous amount of grated mozzarella cheese.
- Dab water around the clear edge of the puff pastry circle, then place the second pastry sheet on top of the first, encasing the fillings inside.
- Gentle press with fingers to seal the edges (the water helps them stick together).
- Place an egg cup or small ramekin in the centre of the top pastry sheet, then use a sharp knife to cut the outer parts of the pastry into 16 equal wedges. (The ramekin will stop you cutting all the way into the centre, and will be where a pot of sauce can sit on top of the finished pizza wheel).
- Remove the ramekin, and lightly brush the puff pastry with milk to help it turn golden during cooking).
- Take each sliced wedge and give it one full twist. Work your way around the wheel, twisting each section in the same way. Brush the undersides of the wedges that are now exposed, with a little extra milk.
- Sprinkle extra dried herbs, or salt and pepper to taste, across the top of the pizza wheel.
- Cook for approx. 20 mins or until puffed up and golden. Fill the ramekin with dipping sauce/ketchup/bbq and place in the centre for the twists of pizza to be dunked in!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Weds 16 December 2020