Pistachio Brown Sugar Meringues
These cute little meringues have a lovely caramel taste thanks to the brown sugar. They have a crisp outside and are beautifully chewy inside, topped with pistachio nuts. This is a recipe by Kitchen Aid.
The original recipe stated 8-10 meringues, however I made 16 from the following.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup (80g) caster sugar
- ¾ cup (115g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 50g pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- double cream, for serving, optional
- fresh berries, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Attach the wire whisk and mixing bowl to the stand mixer. Add the egg whites to the bowl.
- Turn to speed 6 and mix for 30 seconds or until soft peaks form. Increase speed to 8 and gradually add in the caster sugar, about 2 tbs at a time. Continue mixing and adding the sugar until all the white and brown sugar are added and a thick and very smooth meringue results. During mixing, turn off the mixer and wipe down the side of the bowl with a spatula.
- Reduce to speed 1, add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and mix until just combined. Dollop meringue onto the prepared trays. Sprinkle with nuts and bake on the centre shelf for 55 minutes or until crisp. Turn off the oven and allow to cool completely with the door ajar.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Monday 30 November 2020