Super easy fluffy pikelets – perfect for breakfast or brunch. They’re quick to make and only take minutes to cook. They’re also easy to freeze – I like to keep a batch in the freezer. It’s easy to take a couple out at a time – pop in the microwave for a few seconds then all ready for a quick snack or after school treat.
This recipe makes approx 10-12 pikelets, depending on size.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour (or 1 cup plain flour and 2 tsp baking powder)
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp of melted butter
- Spray oil/canola oil for cooking
- In a bowl, beat the egg and sugar until mixture has thickened and turned pale. (I use an electric hand mixer for this, but you could do by hand.)
- In another bowl, sift together the flour and salt (and baking powder if using plain flour).
- Pour the egg mixture, the milk and melted butter into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan on the stove to a medium heat.
- Drop in mixture. When bubbles begin to form, flip each pikelet over to cook the other side. (Add a little extra oil, or spray oil to the pan after every couple of pikelets as needed to stop them sticking).
- Serve immediately, with a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh fruit or cream and jam!
- Once cool, these can be frozen and reheated in the microwave when needed.
Remember the old joke: the first pancake is like the first-born child.. always a little weird!
To freeze: I usually freeze these in a large plastic ziplock bag, or plastic container with a lid. If you like, placing a piece of greaseproof paper in between each pikelet makes it easier to separate them once needed (but honestly I don’t bother!).
Tip: If your pikelets are too thin (and look more like pancakes/crepes) then it’s likely that the batter is too runny. In this case, add a little extra flour to thicken it up. (Alternatively if the batter is too thick, then add a little extra milk to loosen it up).
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!