Lockdown Gingerbread Men
Don’t worry ‘lil guys, we’ve got this! These cute little gingerbread men are keeping safe as best they can! As well as tasting great, they’re a fun activity for kids to help out with. Rather than make traditional royal icing (with uncooked egg whites) I’ve opted for a cookie icing here as it’s safer for everyone to eat. It will still set firm enough not to smudge, just won’t be as rock-solid as royal icing.
Makes approx 18-20 depending on size
- 350g flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 100g butter
- 170g light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the cookie icing:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, sieve flour, ginger and baking soda. Mix in the butter (by hand may be easiest)
- Mix in brown sugar, golden syrup and egg. Mix to form a dough.
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 5mm thick.
- Cut gingerbread shapes. Place on lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins depending on size.
- Leave on tray a couple of minutes then cool on rack.
To decorate once cold:
- Mix up the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence. To reach the right consistency, try adding a little less milk than stated, and add further drops if needed.
- Pipe over gingerbread men. I use a (clean!) little plastic medicine syringe. Alternatively use a small piping tip in a piping bag, or snip the corner off a small snaplock bag. Once I’d piped the masks I then added a drop of red food colour to do the coloured buttons. Have fun!
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!