Fluffy sweet scones with a lovely lemon zing. These are perfect served by themselves, with butter or even cream & lemon curd. Best eaten straight from the oven while warm.
- 5 tbsp full fat milk
- 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 110g cold butter
- Zest of 2 lemons (approx. 4 tsp)
- Additional sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk (to create ¾ cup homemade buttermilk). Leave to one side – it will curdle and look a little lumpy.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add in cubed butter and mix in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs (use a mixer, or clean hands if easiest).
- Pour in the buttermilk and lemon zest, stirring until just mixed.
- Tip dough onto a lightly floured benchtop, and knead gently into a flat ball.
- Lift onto a lined baking tray and pat down into a circle approx. 20cm in diameter.
- Use a sharp knife to score eight wedges like a pizza (don’t cut all the way through!).
- Sprinkle with a little sugar and bake for 20-25 mins or until a light golden colour and cooked through.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe, Monday 20 July 2020