Woooohhh these Halloween GingerDEAD Men are terrifyingly tasty! Plus, it doesn’t matter if you accidentally break an arm or leg while making! If you don’t celebrate Halloween then just skip the spooky parts and these make lovely traditional Gingerbread biscuits.
- 350g flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 100g butter
- 170g light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Approx 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, sieve flour, ginger and baking soda. Mix in the butter (by hand may be easiest).
- Mix in brown sugar and golden syrup and egg. Mix to form a dough.
- Tip out onto a floured surface, and roll out to approx 5mm thick.
- Cut out gingerbread shapes… losing a few heads or limbs along the way. I love this bit because you can cut off any bits you don’t like!
- Bake for 10-12 mins. Cool on rack
- Whisk the egg white until light and foamy. Mix in icing sugar and lemon juice until there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth and glossy. Add more lemon juice if needed to reach the right piping consistency.
- Pipe or drizzle bandages over the gingerbread men when cold.
- Add a little food colouring to the mix to create blood.
- I use a clean plastic medicine syringe (that you get from the pharmacy) to make the little eyes or dots.
- This makes more royal icing than is needed, so you could always ice a second batch of biscuits too!
My original recipe video (filmed one-handed!):
Filmed on The Cafe, Halloween 2020 (ironically with one hand!):
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!