Apple & Carrot Muffins
These delightful little muffins are gently spiced and contain the goodness of grated apple and carrot.
Makes 4-6 (I made 6 muffins as pictured).
- 40g apples, coarsely grated
- 50g carrots, finely grated
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 ½ tbsp chia seeds
- 40g light brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 40ml mild olive oil or vegetable oil (eg canola)
- 1 egg
- 60g self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a bowl, mix the grated apple and carrot, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest, chia seeds, brown sugar, oil and egg, until combined.
- Set aside for 5 mins, or until the chia seeds have expanded a little. Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt into a separate bowl.
- Stir the carrot mixture into the dry ingredients to form a batter. Divide evenly between the muffin cases, and then scatter over a few sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-18 mins, or until they’re well risen and spring back when gently touched. Remove from the oven and leave to sit for a few minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Made this recipe?
Tag @onehandedbaker on Facebook or #onehandedbaker on Instagram!
This recipe featured on The Cafe Friday 13 November